Wakeboards...and 1996

So on September 3, 1996 I wrote myself a letter to read in May 2000. It was an assignment in Mrs. Wobb's English class.

*side note: I remember this kid in my class who Brandi liked and he looked a lot like a kid version on Chris Kattan's Roxbury brothers character on SNL, like a spitting image.

Anyway, I was so obsessed with wakeboarding at the time and I knew words like the Bunny Hop 180, Roll to Revert. I had a subscription to Wakeboaring magazine and it was all because I was in love with Parks Bonifay (superstar 14 year old who won the gold medal for wakeboarding at the 1996 x-games in RI) and knew that he rode a 54'' Conelly Dually board--because I was obsessed like that. Now I could really care less. But that was my first obsession to the extreme.

Plus 1996 started my obsession with alternative music and music videos in general. I'd always carry around my walkman listening to Radio Free Hawaii 102.7 FM. That was the best station ever, dark horse week, party train, Kereigh(with a gh), golden ear or tin ear, songs like Primitive Radio Gods "Standing Outside a Broken Telephone Booth with Money in My Hand," Green Day's "Walking Contradictions," No Doubt's "Spiderwebs," 311's "Down," Dave Matthew Band's "So Much to Say," Diswalla's "Counting Blue Cars," Oasis' "Wonderwall," Bush's "Glycerine," Nada Surf's "Popular." And don't get me started on MTV, because there's a whole 10 page rant about that.

No comments: